Monday, August 4, 2014

A Little Birdie Told Me - Mixed Media Card

Hello Everyone.

I hope you had a great weekend! Today I want to share with you my second attempt at a true mixed media card. Here's a quick overall shot, then I will tell you about the card.


First I would like to send out a big hug and many thanks to all of the amazing design team members over at The Mixed Media Challenge Blog for choosing my very first mixed media card - Birthday Wishes as a highlight in their very first mixed media challenge - Touch of Nature. There were so many amazing projects entered, I cannot begin to tell you how honoured I am to display their badge. If you click on their badge, you can see all of the other beautiful projects that were highlighted, as well as the winning project by Luli.

  

This month, their challenge is Challenge #2 - Summer. They asked us to do something that reminds us of summer and the first thing that came to mind is my Mom's wonderful patio garden filled with birds. So, that is what I went with! They also gave us an option to include some burlap. My intention was to line all the layers of my card with burlap, but when I put the first piece on, I just found it to be too harsh against my soft pastels, so I opted for layers of white crinoline instead.


There are lots of photos because I wanted to capture all of the little details that I included. Here we go!


How I did the background:

I covered my paper with a layer of home-made texture paste and made sure to make it smudgy and smooshy (yes, those are words). I globbed it on real thick in some spots so I could press some seed beads into it here and there. I also pressed some bits of cheesecloth into the paste, then I let it dry.

Then came the DecoArt Paints. Many layers of Crafter's Acrylics and Americana Arylic paints in Early Spring Green, Cherry Blossom, Daffodil Yellow and Flesh until I got the look I wanted. Then I added some Ranger White Studio Gesso here and there to put a bit of grit on it. Next, I made some sprays using Tim Holtz distress stains Gathered Twigs and Spiced Marmalade by mixing them with water in mini misters. Gave some squirts over the beaded areas and let it drip down the page. I also used my blending tool to add some distress ink Spiced Marmalade, Crushed Olive and Shabby Shutters, just to highlight the green and peach paints. Then I used my paint brush to flick some Gathered Twigs, Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick and Peeled Paint in random spots.

I stamped some images and designs using Ranger Archival ink Coffee and then took a sponge with some white paint and highlighted all of the raised areas. Lastly, to add a bit more interest, I put some home-made crackle paint here and there around the birds.



The birdhouse was done using Poppystamps - Carolina Birdhouse die and home-made crackle paint. The bird was handmade using polymer clay and a Mod Melt mold and then textured with Ranger Picket Fence crackle paint. I painted her with some Spiced Marmalade, Shabby Shutters and Gathered Twigs.

The ribbon was coloured with Spiced Marmalade, Squeezed Lemonade and Shabby Shutters. The birds stamps are from the Prima Songbird collection.



The green panel was stamped using Tim Holtz Fabulous Flourishes and then stencilled with Crafter's Workshop Reverse Chicken Wire. I highlighted the chicken wire by rubbing the Spiced Marmalade ink pad directly over the paste.

I wrote this sentiment because I thought it was perfect for a card with birds all over it. It was done by hand using a Studio G wood mounted miniature alphabet stamp set...cutsie right!!



I am thrilled to also enter my card into the following challenges:

ABC Challenges - Q is for Quote
Country View Challenges - Word Play
Sweet 7 Designs Challenge Blog - Challenge #1 - Birthdays
Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenge Blog - #40 - Anything Goes
Make My Monday - Birds

I already entered a card for this next challenge, but my birdie sentiment seems to fit so nicely, I just couldn't resist:
Fussy and Fancy - Challenge #119 - Words



That's it for today. Thank you for stopping in and for all the amazing comments. I read and appreciate every single one! If you have any questions, please let me know.


64 comments:

  1. This is stunning - thanks for joining in this week at MMM - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous!!! I just love your creations ... Thanks for visiting me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ros! That's quite a compliment coming from such a talented artist! :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous card Pamellia, love the all the soft tones and textures.
    Hugs from Veerle x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veerle! Thank you so much for always coming and saying such nice things! Every word means a lot to me! Hugs :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful card, Pamellia, so delicate and feminine . thank you for entering it into the Fussy and Fancy Challenge and good luck xxx Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamellia...I'm so glad that you DID enter your second GORGEOUS card into our Fussy and Fancy "Words" challenge...it's so PERFECT for this theme!! Your work is simply STUNNING...congrats on being "HIGHLIGHTED" at Mixed Media Card Challenge!! I have to say that I am very pleased to have found your wonderful blog!!
    Take care,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth, for the compliments and the congrats! Many hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Pamillia

    What a beautiful card it is so feminine soft and lovely.

    June x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pamelia - amazing shabby sheekness - love it! Thank you so much for your lovely comments too and for following me - I am now following you too! Off to look at your other work. Nikkixx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nikki, for the kind words and for becoming a follower! Welcome to My Little Craft Things! Hugs :)

      Delete
  8. Really adore your work. I notice you are in contact with Ingrid so you may already know about this but would you like to take part in a little blog hop? If so do email me - nikkiacton1@gmail.com. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki. Yes I was talking to Ingrid about the blog hop and it sounds fantastic!! I will email you as well, just to cover all the bases. Hugs :)

      Delete
  9. Wow Pamellia, I love this card... I am so unable to get this look... I love it, admire it, try to create it... but can't quite get it like you do... you are masterful with this... LOVE IT... Great Card... I also love the pink and yellow combo... a good one for sure... you have NAILED this card... Love, Light and Peace.. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, thank you so much Bonnie!! I just love your work too!! :)

      Delete
  10. wowsers beautiful card - actually it is a wonderful piece of art thanks for sharing

    Barb Housner

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my goodness--this is AMAZING! LOVE all the fabulous texture and shabby goodness! HUGS and have a great rest of the week! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pamellia. Your card is stunning!! I love all the details that you've added --- such an amazing mix of die-cuts, stencils, pastes and embellishments. This is a work of art!! Thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Card Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Loll!! I just love doing mixed media cards! Hugs :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, looook what I've nearly missed!! Oh, you beauty!! This is gorgeous!!! Love this one too, so many details and gorgeous textures...
    Hugs,
    Ingrid xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile Ingid!! Thank you so much! Hugs :)

      Delete
  14. What a beauty! Oh how I want to see this card in real. Can get enough of it just by looking at the photos. So many pretty layers and details. Thank you for joining us once again at MMCC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful compliment Kripa! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  15. Amazing card, love it so much !!! , thank you Pamellia for visiting all time my blog, it's a great joy for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, and it's my pleasure. I just adore your work!! Hugs :)

      Delete
  16. Great card. I love all the texture and embellishments you have used. Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Challenges.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful mixed media card, Pamellia! I love all the texture and how the layers of netting add such softness. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Card Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a striking card! You created so many beautiful elements and layers from the gesso cheesecloth holding the seed beads to the dripping ink, to the beautiful flourishes peeking from behind the embossed chicken wire, then a complimenting pattern in the use of the tulle throughout. And of course I enjoyed the sweet clay bird you made and the use of the crackle paint. I really appreciate the details and photos you shared. Thanks for returning to the MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for all those wonderful, kind words! You really made my day today! Many Hugs :)

      Delete
  19. This is so stunning :) your card has such beautiful textures and layers. Incredible work of art :) Thank you for sharing with MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so, so pretty! Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your explanation of how you did the background! Gorgeous card, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally love this Pamellia! I've been having a browse thru your blog - all your creations are gorgeous! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful creation, I love the different bird-related elements and the seeds are a gorgeous detail!
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rebecca, for all your lovely comments! :)

      Delete
  24. I love you card its just beautiful! Thankyou for sharing at ABC Challenge! Hugs Julie xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowwie this is Beyond Beautiful!!! Excellent mixed media---just lovely!! So glad you joined in the fun challenge at Fussy and Fancy. Hope to see you next challenge!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Pamellia on making our Top 5 at Fussy and Fancy "Words"!!! You know that I'm a FAN...so proud of you!!!
    Take care,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth! I am completely honoured! :)

      Delete
  27. Congratulations on all your recent blog challenge wins! Your work is stunning, and this piece is no exception! I really appreciate that you take the time to describe your work, as well. This takes a lot of time and effort! Thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Sara, what a wonderful compliment! Thank you for always leaving such kind words, I sure do love hearing from you! :)

      Delete
  28. congrats on being a highlight last month!!! your card was one of my faves too. and this one is no exception. such a romantic beauty of a card! thanks for playing along with us at MMCC again!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this card! The richness of layers and details is amazing!
    Thanks for playing with us at MMCC. Hope to see you with us again next month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous card! I'm glad you went with crinoline instead of burlap! Your card has an ethereal look and I so enjoyed reading about how you put this beautiful card together! Thanks for playing with us at MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous shabby chic style, and I love all your fabulous texture within the layers. Just beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Country View Challenges.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on your mixed media card highlight Pamellia. Truly stunning and well deserved. Have a lovely week! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicola! I was really happy about that one, since I'm fairly new to mixed media. Big bear hugs :)

      Delete